Saturday, August 21, 2010

I Heart Maya Angelou

A while ago I found a book at the book store that was full of poems and quotes from Maya Angelou, one of my very favorite women ever! I can't remember what the book was called, and unfortunately, I did not get it at the time. Letters or Stories to my Daughters? Or Maybe Letters to Women? Something like that. I wish so much I had gotten it. Maybe I'll find it again one day - and if I do I am definitely getting it!

Here are some quotes from Ms. Angelou...and just a few more reasons to adore her. They speak to my soul. Really, almost everything from her speaks to my soul.

Enjoy...

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."

"Courage allows the successful woman to fail and learn powerful lessons from the failure-so that in the end, she didn't fail at all."

"It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength."

"Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at it destination full of hope."

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you."

"I can be changed by what happens to me. but I refuse to be reduced by it."

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”

And my very very favorite one right now:

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it."



3 comments:

  1. Letter to my daughter perhaps?
    http://www.amazon.com/Letter-My-Daughter-Maya-Angelou/dp/0812980034/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282411902&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I remember now. I was looking at that book and a book of her poetry. I couldn't decide between the two, so I ended up not getting either one.
    Awesome! I've added both to my wish list =D

    ReplyDelete