I almost didn't submit anything. I almost talked myself out of it. Told myself it was a ridiculous idea. Or if it was a good idea, certainly I couldn't do it justice. I came so very close to just not even trying.
That's what I do.
I have ideas. And then I think they are stupid, or I'm just not good enough, and I don't follow through.
But I did do it. I took a deep breath and hit that little send button.
And my idea was loved!
Now my only fear is that I can't pull it off. It is a lot like stage fright really. That horrible fear that somehow people will realize they made a huge mistake in thinking that I am any good at anything.
The thing is. I have no idea where this comes from. Why do I have this fear? Why am I so terrified that I am just not good enough? That people will laugh at me? That people will tell me I'm stupid...Why?
I remember in middle school I had some "friends" who would always call me stupid, and in high school the kids in my A.P classes called me stupid and wouldn't let me be a part of their study groups because I wasn't "smart enough". When did I start believing these people?
Or did it start even earlier than that?
I could probably dig this all the way down to early childhood and my daddy moving away, thus leaving me with a bunch of daddy-issues (that have mostly been resolved) and some abandonment/please everyone or they will reject you issues.
But really, in this day an age, who doesn't have some issues here and there?
Why am I so afraid that I just don't have what it takes to do anything worthwhile?
Failed marriage? Sure, but that's not all that uncommon anymore either, sadly.
Overweight? Yeah, another thing that is pretty common.
Ok, maybe I am asking the wrong question here. Maybe it isn't about the why, maybe the real question is - is it just me!?
Am I the only one who is so afraid of being told she is stupid and her ideas/talents are mediocre at best?
Or could it be that it is pretty normal. Is everyone a little bit afraid?
That is almost comforting.
But then my next question is - if there are other people out there who are afraid, how do they deal with it? How do they overcome the fear?
I have a feeling I know the answer already...
They just do it.
Yeah, it is as simple and as difficult as that.
Well, today, I took a step towards that. I sent in my pitch. And I get to be a writer for The Well Written Woman. And I am excited, and so nervous...and I really hope I will make a meaningful, thought provoking contribution to the community.
I'm afraid. But I'm doing it anyway.
Great insight! Soooo looking forward to your contributions. =D
ReplyDeleteI'm going to try very hard not to be too nervous about it all.
ReplyDeleteThanks for believing in me =)