Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I Believe in Santa

I happen to be one of those strange adults who actually believes in Santa Claus. I saw him once, you know. In a big red truck, driving down the highway. Mom and I were arguing about something stupid and I looked to my right and saw him. "OMG! MOM! It's Santa!" I shouted gleefully. She looked too and was equally thrilled and surprised. Suddenly the argument didn't matter, the frustration I had felt a moment ago melted away...And Santa turned to look at me, gave me a very knowing smile and waved as he turned off to exit. His license plate read: S Claus.

Christmas, to me, is not about gifts (though I love to give them) and most certainly not about the crazy shopping marathons people go on. Commercialism makes me very sad. I try to ignore it and have little if any part in it.

The whole holiday season is about getting together with friends and family, sharing stories, meals, and laughter. I wish it could be like that all year round, but I suppose people just get caught up in their lives, and it is hard to take a step back and see that there is more to life than what is going on with us as individuals. So, there is a whole season to remind us to think of others and to tell our loved ones just how much we cherish them.

I have been wanting to start a tradition of making gifts for Christmas. I've wanted to do this for a few years now, but the holidays seem to creep up on me so fast, I always run out of time. This year though, despite the date swiftly approaching, I am going to do it! I want my son to grow up valuing the love and thoughtfulness of a homemade gift. I want him knowing what the holidays are really about.
Sure, the commercialism surrounds us, and will probably get worse before it gets better...but we do not have to let commercialism win. We can ignore it completely.
And that is just what I intend to do.
I may still give store-bought gifts on occasion, but that will only be because I found something completely perfect for the person receiving the gift.

I read a friend's blog recently and she mentioned giving money to charity or at the very least giving useful gifts. I very much like these ideas. I think there are many way to do our part to change what the Holiday season has become to the vast majority. It is a ripple effect. It only takes one person to spark a change.

I love celebrating. I love giving gifts to people I care about - gifts to remind them of me all year round. I truly love the Holiday season. I do think that some people manage to keep the spirit of Christmas with them all year and simply honor it during the holidays. I want to be better at being one of those people.

If you let it - Christmas time can truly be a magickal time.
It doesn't have to be about getting the next best newest gadget and toys for little kids (or adults for that matter) who already have a billion of the next best and newest stuff from last week, month, and year. It doesn't have to be about huge parties and fancy dresses (not that I wouldn't love to have an excuse to look all pretty) it doesn't have to be about sales, lines, emptying your wallet, guessing the monetary value of the gifts people are getting you so that you don't pay too much or too little on their gift, and all that other crap...

It can be about love, joy, laughter, giving for the sake of giving, remembering to keep your friends and family close, remembering to give to those who are less fortunate...
Christmas can be whatever you decide to make it.

And the funny thing is...often, the more simple and heartfelt the celebration, the more cherished it becomes when you think back...

I remember one Christmas, mom and I had pretty much no money and no time. It was the day before Christmas and we still hadn't decorated with the stuff we already had because it was all in boxes still from our move just a few months ago. Mom went out to the store to get some food. And she came back with a few boxes of ornaments, a small tree, and cookies. (All seriously on sale since it was Christmas eve)

We watched Christmas movies and decorated. Then we went for a walk around the neighborhood to see the lights. The next morning there were two small boxes under the tree.
I got a book and a beautiful, sparkly butterfly clip for my hair. I never had the chance to go to the store, so I made my mom a card, and added to it how wonderful this Christmas was and how I loved out little tree.
This was more than 10 years ago, and I still remember it. It is still one of my favorite Christmas memories.

I want to make beautiful memories like that for Patrick. It is important to me that he does not become one of those bratty children who only enjoys a celebration if he is showered with big, new, expensive toys.
That is not what Christmas is about.
Not to me.

Is there a tradition you have been wanting to start for the holidays? Is there some thing you have been meaning to do every year, but never seem to find the time? I urge you to make the time, I urge you to be the change you wish to see in the world (Gandhi). Make good ripples. Start a domino effect of simple giving and love. Make your Christmas about love, caring, and giving...I really think it'll catch on.

=)




4 comments:

  1. "I believe in Santa Claus, like I believe in Love..."

    Love you sweety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely :-) I needed a smile dedicated completely to Christmas. Oddly, despite my feelings on the holiday season, every time I see a big jolly looking man with a white beard I laugh a little and say "It's Santa!!"

    I love handmade stuff, and I love cards, and I love just little notes that say I love you...I truly wish that those gifts were the gifts that everyone always appreciated.

    Love you lady thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... I feel so loved!
    Nothing makes me happier than putting a smile on someone's face...so smiles on 3 someones...warm fuzzies! <3

    ReplyDelete