I didn't realize I lost it. But then I was looking at something someone posted on FB, and wanting to comment, but afraid that others would be outraged by my opinion. Better to not make waves. Then I realized how many times I say that. How it has become a habit. Sure, there are occasions when it really is better to take a deep breath and bite your tongue. But be careful that it does not become a habit.
I consider myself someone who usually speaks her mind. But when is the last time I did that? When is that last time I spoke up? When is the last time I confronted an issue that was bothering me? When is the last time I used my unique voice without hesitating or editing myself?
Even this blog. I made it private, for fear that some people might be upset or offended or angered by some of the things I have talked about. And even then I edit myself.
Why? Why am I so afraid of making someone upset?
Of course I do not want to be spiteful or mean, and I would never purposely hurt someone. So why am I afraid to speak up?
My first step to changing this was to actually post my opinion to what a friend had up on her FB. I was prepared for some pissed off people. And within 1 minute...I had a "like"
The second step? I am seriously considering making this blog public in the near future...
I can relate to this!
ReplyDelete