Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Change

On a long drive home last night, mom and I got to talking. She turned 50 yesterday and was a bit down because of where she is, or rather, where she is not, in her life. Many of the things she said are the same things I feel. I could definitely relate.
I also realized that some of the things that have been frustrating me (like her fighting me on butter and salt intake) are not about fighting me, but about fighting herself. Knowing this makes it a whole lot easier to deal with and not get so frustrated.

We decided we both need to do a complete inside-out overhaul. Ok, I've already known that I need to do this, but now I have a partner who needs it almost more than I do.
It won't be easy. But I think it'll be fun. She is a bit wary still I think, but also very excited about making some real changes.

The talk also made me realize that, while I may not have accomplished some of the things I have been wanting to do for much of my life, and more recently since the split, I have made one very huge change. A change that really will help me with everything else I set out to do.

I have successfully changed my general attitude about life, myself, and the past. This is HUGE! I have completely gotten away from the victim mentality, I have completely overcome depression (Take that Dr. I'veForgottenYourName who said I would be on meds my entire life!!!), I have become comfortable with happiness, I have found my center.
Wow!
Talk about change!

If I can change these things about myself, things I had long ago accepted would just always be a part of me...I can change ANYTHING about myself!

I've been so down on myself because I'm still fighting with laziness and fear (they are the best of pals) I didn't even realize the battles I have already won.
I'll win this one too!

If you are like me, and beating yourself up about changes you still have not made, things you still have not done...I invite you to sit down and think about what you HAVE accomplished. I bet it is a lot. I also bet that whatever battles you have won will help you win the next one(s)!






2 comments:

  1. A belated happy birthday to your mom. :) I think you have done the hardest part already honestly. Attitude change can be so hard. I am so proud of you. I also aspire to REALLY get to that point where I FEEL differently about things. I am not going to let the fact I am not quite there yet stop me, so I consider that a victory. But I look forward to getting to that point with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you =)
    You are on the right track! I'm not always perfect about it. It does take effort, some days more than others. I think you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete