Saturday, January 8, 2011

Write What You Know

I really think it would be fun and rewarding to write for the Examiner, or a similar place. But I have no idea what to write about. I don't really know what I am an expert on. I don't know if I am really an expert on anything at all. I have life experience, and some education in random stuff, but I'm not really an expert on any of it - no matter how much you know, there is always someone who knows more...
Of course, there is always that person who, expert or not, can say one little thing that can make you completely rethink everything. Maybe, I could be that person?

But I am doing that thing again, that fear thing. I think of something I really want to do, I get excited. I try to figure out how I will go about it. Then I hit a little roadblock, and I start to get intimidated, I start to think I could not possibly do this...who am *I* to presume I can do something like this...

I do this with so many things in my life.
I let fear stop me.
Because what if I do this, and I am just no good at all?
I know what you're thinking. You are thinking "But, Sandi, what if you ARE good! Awesome even!?"

The thing is...while that thought does cross my mind on occasion, more often than not it is squelched with a not so friendly "Yeah right!"
I am determined not to let fear stop me this time.
I want to do this. I just don't know where to start. I don't know what I am good enough at that I could actually write about it, often.
I was surprised (happily so) by some of the responses I got on Facebook. Some of my friends telling me that they actually think I am too good for the Examiner. That people have such a high opinion of my often hidden (by me) talents, really really blows me away.

But no one gave me any ideas of what I could write about...
I don't want to give up. I don't want to end up not even trying because I let something as silly as not knowing what to write about stop me...
But I need ideas.

And maybe, just maybe, if I do this thing, despite being a little afraid...maybe I'll do more things. Maybe I'll finally do First Thursdays at the Orlando Museum of Art, maybe I'll do the bake sale I wanted to do last year but didn't. Maybe this will be that start of me doing amazing things!

I just need an idea...

2 comments:

  1. What are you passionate about? Maybe you could write about that? Natural health-care for babies? OR creative vegetarianism? Granted, I don't even know what the examiner is, but once you get really excited about something, the words will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Examiner.com You can be an expert on many different things, it almost makes it more difficult because there is SO much to choose from. You know, I am passionate about a lot of stuff, but not really an expert at anything. I am intimidated by all the real experts. I'm starting to rethink the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete